Cafe Kong Forums

The forums of the Cafe Kong chatroom of Kongregate.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Æternal Legends

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
theSeraph

Number of posts : 959
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Character sheet
Name: Samael
Race: Human

PostSubject: Æternal Legends   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 5:05 am

OK, so I want to run a game of Æternal Legends. It's a cool modern fantasy game with a lot of thought behind it. It was written by a friend of mine (Stewart Wilson) who has done a LOT of professional RPG writing. Ever hear of that company White Wolf? Ever played any of their Werewolf or Mage games? You've probably read something that Stew wrote.

Anyways, Æternal Legends is a game he wrote. Here's a link to the AL related posts on his blog.
Æternal Legends

I was going to post some Æternal Legends related fiction up on the Serious Talk subfora, but decided that since its directly related to this game, I'll post it here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Æternal Legends fiction   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 5:07 am

"Awakenings"

Magic seethes beneath everyday affairs. Turn a corner and find yourself wandering into a Pocket Kingdom where witches and alchemists sell their wares right under the noses of a mundane population. One in twenty people are Aware, are part of the secret lands of magic. A very select few of those go on to become Legends, borne up by their convictions to enforce change on a stagnant world. But all of us at one point in our lives Awakened to our realities.

There wasn’t really one moment that you could point to and say, ‘this is when it changed.’ It was something slower, something gradual. Like those mornings when the alarm doesn’t go off and your body comes to consciousness naturally in its own time, things around all of us began to be different than they were before.

You see, belief matters. Not necessarily what you believe or even why you believe; just the sheer power of true earnest belief itself is enough sometimes. Belief can change the world. Oh, not in some drippy Hollywood-ized version where the protagonist dreams it and so it comes to pass. No, not like that at all. There’s still a struggle, a fight, a journey. But belief is what can carry you through that.

Those of us who follow our beliefs, no matter what it might cost us, become what you’d call the good guys. And while some of us still look human on the outside, we’ve all been touched and drastically changed. Every last one of us; man, woman, and child. And then there are those who deny their beliefs, or who sell them to the lowest possible cause. They become darksiders, and the hatred and self-loathing that simmers somewhere inside of them twists and tortures either their bodies, their souls, or their minds until they too are no longer quite human.

There is a secret war that takes place amongst you every day. Oh, true, its not on every street corner or amidst your soccer-mom lunches or board room business deals – such things are again matters of fancy, more Hollywood than reality (May the Librarian forgive me for saying so). But those of us who are Awake, who are aware of the secrets and truths and magic and wonder that still exist in the world deal with our beliefs on a daily basis. We fight and struggle and weep and rail against the coldness of a world that would beat us all down and drag us under. But we persevere because we each of us believe that what an individual does and thinks and believes matters. Not just for them, but for the world as well.

And we live among all of you. Unseen because you sleep. Unknown because you slumber. Unappreciated because you cannot understand what it is we do. You think that the magic has gone out of the world. But we hold it for you, shepherd it and keep it roaming in the wild places. You think that life is boring, dull, and grey. But we keep rainbows in fields of dew and crystal waiting for your acceptance. You think that nothing much in this world matters any more. But you couldn’t be more wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Æternal Legends fiction   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 5:08 am

"Here There Be Dragons"

Magic seethes beneath everyday affairs. Turn a corner and find yourself wandering into a Pocket Kingdom where witches and alchemists sell their wares right under the noses of a mundane population. One in twenty people are Aware, are part of the secret lands of magic.

I first became Aware at the age of 16. I was never like the other kids, always into books and secrets. While other kids were out playing sports, I was hiding in the library, huddled behind a wall of words. Slowly I started to realize that not all of the books in the fantasy section were necessarily fiction, that the worlds we create behind our eyes are sometimes as real as the one in front of them, that the actions we commit to in our minds are sometimes more important that anything we ever say. Then I saw the Librarian. He was the same guy who always sat the reference desk, logging people onto and off of computers, looking up obituaries, and so forth. But now I saw that he was an Elf with pale parchment skin and the wisdom of a thousand years tattooed across his hands. He taught me that words can be weapons as well as a shield, a lesson that would serve me well in the years to come.

Ten years later saw me working as a freelance writer in New York City – a place where there are more Pocket Kingdoms and Aware communities than you can shake a wand at, believe it or not. Pocket Kingdoms are places that are off the map. Those marginal bits where old cartographers wrote in “here there be dragons.” Some of those maps may be more accurate than your 3rd grade History teacher led you to think. Not all of them are kingdoms, of course. They vary widely in size and disposition. A rare few overlap with mundane reality, though the Unaware aren’t always cognizant of it.

Keep all that in mind when I say that I was surprised to find a dragon living in the subway tunnels beneath Times Square. She was long and sleek and silvery. Apparently she (or her ancestors, she’s never entirely clear on the point) has always lived in the area. Which would explain the tribal tattoos done gangland graffiti style along her sides, I suppose.

I fell in love with her, almost literally, from the moment I first saw her and every day since then has just deepened the feeling. There is nothing more exciting than clinging to her neck while she speeds along the underground, blowing past subway stations like the noon-time express, her laughter like the shrieking bellow of a column of wind, mundane on-lookers completely unaware of our shared joy.

That’s why I’m strapping on a set of borrowed mail from my buddy in the Bronx, carrying a sword allegedly brought over from Britain in the 1500s, and packing what is a decidedly illegal semi-automatic pistol from my fence down on 37th street. Probably the strongest thing I’ve got on me though is the written word. Sixteen spells that can blind steal a man’s sight away, turn my skin to living stone, and summon the 13th djinn of Mecca. Someone’s stolen her away you see, and someone’s gonna pay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Æternal Legends fiction   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 5:08 am

“Beyond her initiation”

Magic seethes beneath everyday affairs. Turn a corner and find yourself wandering into a Pocket Kingdom where witches and alchemists sell their wares right under the noses of a mundane population. One in twenty people are Aware, are part of the secret lands of magic. A very select few of those go on to become Legends, borne up by their convictions to enforce change on a stagnant world.

Molly was essentially born Aware to a pair of Elven parents. Her mother was from Wales, her father from Arabia. They tried to give Molly the choice between a real life and a normal one by sending her to a public school. The teachers complained that she was “too imaginative.” They wanted her put on medications. So Molly was instead educated in a boarding school in a nearby Pocket Kingdom.

She was there the day the Trolls took away Manassa from the New York City subways. She knew that the great dragon loved to race along the tracks and would often keep an eye out for Aware children traveling alone. Although she couldn’t do anything then because she was too afraid, a part of her knew what she should be doing. A part of her knew what she must do, what she must become.

This was her initiation. She was going to join with the Sphere of Strength, that piece of the Divine concerned with power and protection. “Fear only holds us back,” she chanted to herself. “Strength comes from within.” She took up her mother’s sword ‘Bleddyn,’ and felt the power of ages flow from its span through her arm. Her father kissed her forehead granting her his blessing and she felt the rush of heat wrapping her in defense. She could feel the inner smokeless-fire that was her own birthright being fanned to fulfillment. Thus armed she took the first step on her quest and descended the stairs to the subway tunnels beneath Times Square. Beyond the dangers ahead, she would become a Legend in her own right, capable of wielding the power of the Source, able to change the world.

But, beyond her initiation those who prey upon the weak should learn to fear the hot, swift wind of the desert djinn . . .

Because Molly’s out there . . .

And she’s not afraid any more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 5:25 am

And here's a bit of fiction that Stewart did a long time ago that was partly inspiration for writing AL later on.

I cried when she left me. She had a war to fight, and she stared long into my eyes while taking up sword and shield. That last kiss lasted an eternity. She turned and walked to the rest of the elven knights, leaving me standing at my apartment door at four in the morning with nothing but the tears in my eyes.

After a week I knew she wasn't coming back. I didn't have a magic sword hidden in my closet, but I did have a .44. I headed straight for the back alleys and abandoned warehouses. Battlefields away from mundane eyes, so nobody could see what shared their world. The orcs were back, and I was sure they had killed my girlfriend.

The gang of orcs surrounded me in seconds. One of them swings a spiked mace at my head and I blew his brains out without thinking. Another narrowly missed with a rusty sword. Behind me, I heard the death rattle of another orc, and her beautiful voice.

"Don't just stand there, kill something."

So I did.

We fought together from that day. We married after the war, our crest a crossed gun and a sword. Knights together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 7:46 am

Ok, to open this up for other folks...

I'd be interested in running this game, yes? I'd like a group of at least 2 players but no more than say 5. Preferably, people would be able to post at least once a day, monday through friday.

AL is a game about belief, and has some strictly delineated role for "good" and "evil" - tho precisely what is good/evil and right/wrong is up for debate.

Technically there are 4 races: Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and Gnomes. There are 'evil' counterparts for those (well, Humans stay the same) when one falls to the dark-side - Orcs, Trolls, and Goblins. BUT, and this is a big but, while mechanically one elf is similar to another, physically they vary quite a bit. Thus, in the fiction above Molly is mechanically an Elf, but she looks like a Middle Eastern Djinni.

So... anyone interested?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Number of posts : 244

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 8:12 am

I'd be interested in playing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 2:39 pm

any idea on/for a character?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 5:26 am

theSeraph wrote:

I think I'd like to play some kind of magic user...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Tue 11 Nov 2008, 4:58 am

littlegoth wrote:
theSeraph wrote:

I think I'd like to play some kind of magic user...

You're probably going to want to be Human then. They get a starting bonus to their Magic score.

First things first. Character Concept. Who are you? What do you want?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Wed 31 Dec 2008, 6:47 am

Uhm... that's a toughie..

Like, real world who am i? Or what?

For example : Shan is a kid who enjoys spelunking and who is taking geology courses in college so that they can become a deep-sea cave explorer...

or something else?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Wed 31 Dec 2008, 7:00 am

That's good. Is that what you want to go with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Wed 31 Dec 2008, 7:09 am

Sure..

Although, i don't know what gender shan is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Wed 31 Dec 2008, 7:43 am

That's fine. Gender's a side issue without import at the moment anyway.

So...Tell me about Shan. What do they believe in? What's important to them? What shapes and defines their life and their actions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Sat 03 Jan 2009, 6:56 am

theSeraph wrote:
So...Tell me about Shan. What do they believe in? What's important to them? What shapes and defines their life and their actions?

Shan's one of those people who likes to try and find the things in the deep and the dark.. someone who loves mysteries and finding things new. Shan imagines a life underground in the dark and quiet places surrounded by rock and stone and earth. As for actions, Shan acts in the best interest of nature and the earth, one of those major eco-friendly people. Shan is agnostic if asked, but believes in the old magic of the earth, not wiccan, but older and less defined..

Does that answer things? Do you need more info?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darxzero
Admin

Number of posts : 612
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Character sheet
Name: Drital Vesdrac
Race: Drow

PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 5:39 am

*pokes the thread* Wake up! We need more RP on this site!

Drama Drag Queen of Cafe Kong

Number of posts : 808
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Sun 15 Feb 2009, 3:22 pm

I'll agree with Darx, if it livens up the rest of the forums, then yes, more RP...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 7:46 pm

Then you need to come up with character concepts like I did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 8:58 pm

I'd rather see others do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Mon 23 Feb 2009, 11:18 am

Sheesh, all you need to do is say "I want to be a professor in a community college that also teaches the kendo class after"
simple.

Pooka requested i add this face affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Tue 24 Feb 2009, 1:38 am

I want to be a human foot being carried around by a zombie in a post-apocalyptical world.

>.>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Thu 26 Feb 2009, 8:26 am

i know you know how to read... read about the setting Eric.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Thu 26 Feb 2009, 10:14 pm

Oh there's a setting? I missed that part (h/o) Oh I see now. Too restrictive for my tastes, I want moar freedom Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darxzero
Admin

Number of posts : 612
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Character sheet
Name: Drital Vesdrac
Race: Drow

PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Tue 03 Mar 2009, 5:46 am

Seems interesting. *works on a character idea*

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   Tue 10 Mar 2009, 7:14 pm

monodemono wrote:
Oh there's a setting? I missed that part (h/o) Oh I see now. Too restrictive for my tastes, I want moar freedom Razz

Wow, i can't see what's restrictive about it at all... *shrug*
What are you looking for?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Æternal Legends   

Back to top Go down

Æternal Legends
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1