Cafe Kong Forums

The forums of the Cafe Kong chatroom of Kongregate.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Let's start up an RP!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CorellonL
Admin

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Character sheet
Name: Ug
Race: Orc

PostSubject: Let's start up an RP!   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 1:38 pm

OOC: This is a simple format. Basically, you just post what your character does, and you use good judgment to determine if your attack hits, what the NPCs say, etc. No dice necessary. This way, we won't have to explain all the rules to anyone. Very Happy
Remember, no godmodding! (Godmodding = RPing for other people, e.g. "Ug takes out his club and hits Samael on the head. Samael falls against the wall and is knocked unconscious" should instead be turned into "Ug takes out his club and hits Samael on the head." Samael can decide what happens to him. Determining an NPC's actions would be perfectly cool, though, because they obviously can't speak for themselves.)
Anyhow, you can come in at any time you want - you just need to have your character enter the scene, and all of a sudden, he exists. Funny how things like that work.

In-character: Ug walks clumsily into Hearth City. He glances around at the strange caves that people walk in and out of. They seem somewhat like his own... but so much more rectangular and evenly-cut. He looks down. The dirt ground he is accustomed to is hard, black, and flat. It's weird. He walks over to the fountain in the middle of the town, drops his club next to him, and sits down, contemplating this new environment.

View user profile
Archaris

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Character sheet
Name: Alavander
Race: Elf

PostSubject: Alavander   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 3:00 pm

An tall elf wearing blue robes tied with a golden sash approaches this new person who just entered town and is now sitting at the fountain. He eyes him up and down... not sure what to make of him yet. "Ho there. I'm one of the deputies, name's Alavander, making sure there's no trouble and such. Welcome to Hearth City... not many visitors, what's your business in town?" He leans on his brass cobra-headed staff as he awaits a response.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CorellonL
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 3:06 pm

Ug glances around for a minute before realizing that the elf was addressing him. "ug lost", he stammers. "ug saw deer. wanted eat deer. thought deer ran here. ug lost deer. ug sad. Sad " With that, Ug goes back to fiddling with his club.

View user profile
evilethrasher

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Character sheet
Name: Thomas Rumdrill
Race: Halfling

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 3:24 pm

Thomas was sneaking through the underbrush, hunting for his dinner, when he saw an orc, he didn't know at the time, but this orc was named Ug. Hobbits, having had bad experiences with orcs in the past, are not too fond of Orcs. thomas drew his sling, and flung a nearby flint whizzing towards Ug's head....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CorellonL
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 3:35 pm

Ug feels something thunk against his head and hit the ground. He rubs his head and picks up what seems to be a small rock. He wonders where that could have come from in this small city he is in, but disregards it as having fallen from the sky.

Last edited by CorellonL on Sun 09 Nov 2008, 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archaris

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 3:42 pm

*points at the halfling* "Thomas! What're you doing in Mrs. Stubenfield's bushes? Stop that nonsense this instant! I bet you followed him here from the forest didn't you! I bet you even scared off the deer" he adds with a sly wink to Thomas.

"Well Uhhh... g, I suppose I can put you up for some food, but you'll have to tell me how the monsters are out there recently. I recognize by your accent the clan you belong to and know you do good things to protect the city here from the mountains to the east."

OOC: (At least, that's what he's been told through contacts).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evilethrasher

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 3:51 pm

"well.... i didn't scare off no deer!" Thomas proclaimed, embarrassed.
"i would've taken it myself if i had seen it. But i'm sorry, for the previous mischief, me uncle met his end in an orc cookpot. I'm Thomas Rumdrill. Nice to meet you mister err....?"

OOC: sorry, i forgot that. the talk of deer confused me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archaris

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 7:25 pm

"Thom, I've known you since you stole that Mumbleberry pie when you were nary 3 and a half! Was a great caper it was, took me the whole afternoon to track down the pan too!"

I address the orc again, who's surely confused by the halfling's interruption. "Well, lets get you inside, we have some leg-of-lamb roasting on a spit." I lead Ug inside and shoo off any commoners who approach.

*if Ug goes to the nearby Farmsworth (sic) Tavern I cast a spell on him to clean up his clothes and make him smell... not-so-bad.*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
discoalienpro

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Character sheet
Name: Constans
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 7:57 pm

Meanwhile, a very pale-skinned and mysterious human-looking person with long black hair wearing equally odd black clothes (a sleeveless shirt, slightly too large pants with pockets, a cloak with sleeves [trenchcoat], and a thin black scarf) and some sort of strange thing made of two pieces of glass over his eyes, led by a strange blue orb pointing in the direction of town walked into Hearth City.

"Hello?" he said in the direction of the guardhouse.

"Greetings traveler, welcome to Hearth City. What can I do for you?" the guard replies.

"Library?" the traveler asks.

"Over there, hard to miss, big white building," the guard replies.

"Thank," says the traveler.

He then sets forth towards a large building full of books. Upon arrival, he is greeted by a librarian.

"Welcome to our halls of knowledge!" he says.

"Not speak Human language good. You speak Dwarven?" The traveler asks.

"[Very well, my friend,]" the librarian replies.

"[Good, It's been quite some time since I set foot in the sunlit realms. I forgot how bright it is.]"

"[I can tell by the way you look, but it must have been quite some time for you to have forgotten the tall man's language.]"

"[If you consider a few centuries a long time,]" the traveler said with a grin. "[My name is Constans, I'm a chronicler.]"

"[And I am Thrintan. Judging by your clothes, I'm guessing you come from the dark man's city, right?]"

"[Yes, that is where I currently reside. There was so much going on there until recently that I managed to stay there for quite a lot of my life. During small respites from the chaos, I went to see the dwarves. They're very friendly with tall men, but not so much with dark men or forest men.]"

"[How true. Did they find it at all odd that you lived with the dark men or have red eyes and fangs.]"

"[You're pretty observant mes-Thrintan. But no, they did not find it odd.]"

"[So, what brings you to the library?]"

"[As I said, I'm a chronicler, and I wish to record the happenings of the time since I left for the homeland.]"

"[Very well, I will tell you of our history from a long time ago until now. Come in.]" Thrintan brought Constans inside, and gave him some tea.

Thrintan then told Constans much of the history of humans, using some magic to create moving images of important events, while Constans recorded them in his notebook. Constans then thanked him for the history lesson and tea, and left for the inn, in hopes of finding a room to stay the night in.

OOC: in the dwarven language, tall men are humans, dark men are drow, and forest men are elves. Also, the title of mes is used for a wise man, tin is used for a fool. Finally, what the humans and drow call the underworld, the dwarves call home or the homeland.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archaris

Character sheet

PostSubject: discoalienpro   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 10:00 pm

OOC: Nice intro; I like the [] for dwarven, but stick to using "drow", "human", "elf" in [dwarven] because it is a translated text. IE: "tall man" in common is [human]. [Tall man] is still "tall man" in common... see? If the trend were to continue we'd have 30 words for each of the 30 races; it'd be terribly confusing.

In the meantime I feel like i just lost a D&D game feel to d20 modern. It may be middle-ages based setting (usually) but we DO have things like simple glasses or tinted glasses. Are you a vampire or a human? Your sheet says human but you make it sound like you're a vampire... please clarify

IC:
(I motion Ug to follow me into the Farmsworth Inn; whether he follows or not is up to him. I go in and enjoy my meal besides the point). Halfway through the meal a pale human (i will call you what race you once were still) enters the inn. Having never seen this fellow before, in this town I feel the need to check... and cast a detect evil spell to see if he's here to cause harm.

if yes: I greet him tersely and ask his business in town and how long he'll be staying. "Evening, sir, Haven't seen you in town before. How long'll you be hanging around?"
if no: I greet him like an old friend and introduce myself. "Hey there! Haven't seen you before. Name's Alavander, acting deputy. How're you enjoying Matilda's leg-of-lamb? Juiciest leg I've ever had. What about you?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
discoalienpro

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 11:06 pm

OOC: If you read (as in reed, not red) the backstory on my character sheet (it's very long though =P), it may or may not be evident that my character started off on Earth, but a dimensional anomaly caused him to be dragged off into this other realm with half of a demon stuck inside of him. So he has very weird powers, and some slightly demonic features (it's not easy to tell, but he also has thick skin and very sharp nails). Technically, he's a demon/human fusion, but there's no term for that on the drop-down menu, and he's more human than demonic, so I chose human. As for the sunglasses, I haven't decided whether they're a "souvenir" from Earth (like his tank-top and pants) or something made with a combination of drow and dwarf technology, but I've always imagined this character with black shades.

IC: Not meaning to cause harm, Constans is greeted by an elf. "Hey there! Haven't seen you before. Name's Alavander, acting deputy. How're you enjoying Matilda's leg-of-lamb? Juiciest leg I've ever had. What about you?"

"I'm Constans. Sorry, not good at speaking common. It is..." he paused trying to find the right word "odd meat. I eat spider and mushroom most of time. Few else grow in underworld. Not enough sun. You speak Dwarven or Drow?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evilethrasher

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 2:15 am

Sitting in the tavern, drinking his ale, Thomas noticed the strangely dressed man enter, and began to watch him. He was very suspicious of the trouble strangers often brought, suspicious even for a hobbit. he watched as Alavander went over and greeted him. Having known alavander for so long, he knew the man would have detected any evil from the man and would not greeted him so, if there were any evil to detect. But still, Thomas felt this strange man would bring trouble to hearth city. Eventually curiosity overcame cautiousness and he went to greet the new arrival.
"Alavander, why are you making this poor fellow stand around?" he began.
"I am Thomas Rumdrill, a pleasure to meet you. come! i shall get us all drinks, and then you can tell us what brings you to our pleasant home."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CorellonL
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 5:18 am

Ug just sits around, feeling somewhat awkward, as he can't understand a lick of what's going on, but he is somewhat amused by the little incantation that Archaris had used. After a minute of sitting around and thunking his mug against the table, Ug finally asks, "where ug? ug want know where cave-home is. ug no know this drink. ug no know this place. ug want find deer, want find cave-home." He glances around for a minute, and then goes back to fiddling with his mug.

View user profile
Archaris

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 8:51 am

ooc: Evile, I assumed the newcomer was say, at the bar eating his leg of lamb rather than standing...
Alien: As far as the mixed race I'd have to contact the game master. He made a list of 30 races so you'd pick one of them but I don't know; I think a mix would just be demon now (but appear human, like an incubi). I would have assumed the part demon would have tipped my detect evil spell though so I assume you're pretty powerful, though not my character yet Wink

ic: Exasperated with Thomas, Alavander speaks in drow (undercommon in faerun) [I find it strange you know this language, but I assume it meets your appearance... I'd like to know more about why you have come to this town, find me before you leave, perhaps later tonight. This orc needs attention before he starts a fight] Alavander leaves after any parting words with the newcomer Constans.

in common to Thomas: "This man speaks dwarven Thomas, I can't remember if you guys had courses in that back in school or not. I need to go see to that orc you stoned earlier... Tell your mother I said hello."

To Ug in Orcish: "Ug. Here's leg of lamb. Deer not found in city here." (waits for him to eat) "How is hunting? I think minotaur may be attacking us soon; are they organizing?" (Orc words for war tactics are usually learned first; if he does not understand assume my character can rephrase until Ug does (or at least misinterprets so terribly there's a humorous outcome).

Alavander crosses his fingers and hopes he gets the conversation's meaning through to Ug. He'd hate to have to go out to the mountains to see for himself what trouble might be brewing there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sakuya

Number of posts : 11

Character sheet
Name: Valarie Sato
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 9:08 am

OOC: Time for a female to come in, yes? Razz
Oh, and what I mean by ass, as in the mule.

IC: With a gentle sigh, it seemed like Valarie was never gonna see another town again! Luckily, for this over 100 mile trek, she was lucky that she was able to at least get a ride of some type. Too bad it was a disgusting mule... But, Valarie had to deal with it.

"Come on you stupid little mule...." She muttered, kicking it's sides. "Get to the top of the hill...." The mule yawned and shook it's mane, as if to say no. She growled deeply and flung her hand at the mane, hitting it. "Stupid beast. I should have just called some elk or something... You were a waste of money!" On that note, it quickly reared onto it's back legs, giving a big bay, bucking her off onto her back. THUD. A groan escaped her lips, as the dust was kicked up, the mule finally having freedom. She gave a low growl, keeping in mind to call some animal to eat the mule for dinner that night. She got to her feet, dusting the dirt and dust of her body.

With the sun still high in the sky, that was a good sign for Valarie. She still had time to walk to find a town. She looked ahead of her, only to see a hill. "Lets hope there is something on the other side with some sort of living creature, besides that ass." She quickly got onto the balls of her feet, and sprinted to the top. Her feet slipped a couple times from t he rocks, but she made it to the top, and her dream came true. A village! Not just any village. IT was a city! She smiled wide. "Finally! Alcohol!" She gave a snicker, and headed down the hill as quickly as she could.

As soon as the saw the first tavern, she went straight into it, although her breathing was on the side of shallow. With one hand, she swiped the hair out of her face. She looked around. A low sigh escaped her. 'Men... All men...' Her mind thought, as she headed for a table, clearly away from t he men. She picked one in the corner, with 2 windows next to it. She pulled the sword off her back, it gleaming even in the small light of the tavern and what ever light entered from the window. She placed it into the corner before taking a seat, pulling out a small bottle from her bag on her side, to take a drink of 3 year old red wine.

Last edited by Sakuya on Mon 10 Nov 2008, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Name change upon request.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evilethrasher

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 9:25 am

Although Thomas had never told Alavander, he knew perfect dwarven, as most of his fences were dwarven. That old fool always seemed to know more than he let on.
"come then, let's get you a drink and we can discuss what brings you to this city, and if there is anything i can do to help you." Thomas said in fluent dwarven.
"Barkeep! 2 pints of your finest!" Thomas began, before seeing the half-elf who had just entered, and then said "make that three..." and went over to the woman to ask her to join them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archaris

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 10:21 am

ooc: "alavander notes a woman(!) enter the tavern... first time one of those have been in this city for years!"
just kidding. good story! Smile edit: why did i make it a tavern!? Gah --- cliches. Next time it's going to be the town prison.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CorellonL
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 12:40 pm

"minotaur attack cave-home soon? ug no know that. ug need go cave-home protect cave-home minotaur!" With that, Ug throws his mug to the floor, tears a massive chunk of meat off the bone in his mouth, grabs his club, and makes for the door.

However, upon leaving the tavern, Ug recalls seeing an elf-human sort of hybrid in the tavern. But not just any hybrid. A female hybrid. He gets halfway down the road, and then turns round to head back to the tavern. Upon reaching the door, he turns back around to go seek out the minotaurs. After a few more minutes of deliberation, he ultimately chooses to go back to the tavern and subtly (cough cough) peer in the back window to see if anything happens with the nice elf who gave him the meat... or the half-elf.

View user profile
discoalienpro

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 12:44 pm

OOC: the fusion thing is very complicated, but basically, my character has half of a demon's soul trapped in his mind. The only way it affected him was slight physical changes and gaining demonic magic.

IC: "[Thanks, I haven't had ale since I last went to the dwarven city near my home. Anyways, my reason for being here is to catch up on human history since I left for the underworld. There was so much going on there until recently, that I found it hard to get a break from chronicling it all. But now, the civil war is over, and the city is almost finished being rebuilt, so here I am. Also, thanks for the offer, but I already got enough information from the librarian, so I won't be needing help,]" Constans explained his being here while sipping the ale Thomas had bought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darxzero
Admin

Number of posts : 612

Character sheet
Name: Drital Vesdrac
Race: Drow

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 1:11 pm

Drital wandered the wastes, not knowing where he was headed. Soon, a city appeared on the horizon, with a pair of distinctive flags flying from the twin guard towers. As he headed towards the gates, he saw two guards, and cursed. It would be better if he wasn't seen. He currently had a bounty on his head, and had not yet been able to ascertain how far the news of the murder had travelled. Scouting the city from a distance, he noticed a pattern in the patrol routes of the guards. Every 20 minutes or so, one of the guards would enter the tower, for approximately 10 minutes. This would give Drital a chance to talk his way past the other, or if it became necessary, to kill him, and hide in the city.

Sitting on a small hillock, he waited for the guard to leave, and then walked towards the gate, bowing his head, and keeping his black cloak wrapped tightly around his body. Upon reaching the gate, the guard held his hand up and asked "What is your purpose here?". Drital said, in his deep voice, "I am just passing through the city, nothing more." The guard, suddenly suspicious, asked for some identification. Drital had dreaded this, and surreptitiously drew a small blade from the folds of his cloak. Swiftly, he thrust the blade towards the guard's throat, where it stuck, quivering. Drital quickly withdrew the blade from the man's throat, and fled into the city before the other returned.

Soon after entering the city, he found a small tavern, which from the sounds of it, was incredibly rowdy. Entering the tavern, and glancing around, he spotted five individuals who looked to be of interest. An orc, an elf of extreme age, a middle aged halfling, a human, of an unplacable age, and a young half-elf, the only female in the tavern, sitting away from the others.

Ordering a half glass of white wine, Drital listened discreetly to each individual's manner of speech. The half-elf remained silent, occasionaly taking drafts from a bottle of red wine that she kept at her side. The orc sounded to be of lower intelligence of the rest, the elf, halfling, and human were talking to each other, in what sounded like dwarven. Heading towards a single table, he took a seat, and listened intently.

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 1:17 pm

Noticing a drow enter the tavern, Constans listened to him suspiciously. He heard nothing, but kept watching and listening. He then left for the drow's table.

"{You look suspicious, and you have the scent of someone else's blood on you. Very fresh, a kill maybe... around ten minutes ago?}" Constans said in undercommon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archaris

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 1:23 pm

oc: I'm going to try and keep any more OC of mine in an alternate thread so as not to clutter this thread...

Alavander is left speechless with Ug's sheer ferocity of protecting his "cave home". He stands up with his chest out ready to call to arms a militia to defend the orc cave-home when he realizes he's being silly and sits back down. Ug must have misunderstood him.

He deftly grabs the ale on the tray passing him headed towards the window. "I like the spiciness you put in this batch of homebrewed Ale, Matilda, but I think she'd much rather have a wine glass for her wine." Matilda gives a mean eye to Al who gives an innocent shrug before taking a draught. During his drinking, the door opens and someone moves to a seat behind Al.

Constans speaks, and as he finishes the door suddenly bursts open, a town guard is there, his hands and tunic covered in blood. "Alavander," he starts, "Olly's been stabbed! He died in my hands and could only murmer "(Red, or enter color of Drital's eyes here) eyes." Alavander does a spit take and wheels on the figure he did not notice enter earlier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
discoalienpro

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 1:27 pm

Constans quickly stands up, and summons his two swords (both black, length of a greatsword, with a barbed tip, the hilt looks like a "D")

"{So it was the guard you killed?}" Constans said, pointing the one in his right hand at the drow, with the other in his hand, tip resting on the ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evilethrasher

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 1:38 pm

Thomas stopped in his tracks on the way to the half elf's table and turned to see a guard burst in covered in blood. Listening to the guard yelling about the murder, Thomas drew one of his many knives and began to slink stealthily towards the drow who seemed accused of this murder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darxzero
Admin

Number of posts : 612

Character sheet
Name: Drital Vesdrac
Race: Drow

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 1:44 pm

As soon as the human rose from his table, Drital's eyes moved towards him. The human approached, and when he reached the table, started to speak. During this, the second guard from earlier burst into the tavern, in a state of panic. He walked up to the elf, and started describing the murder. Apparently, the guard had lived long enough to report the colour of his eyes. Under his breath, he swore, as the human summoned two swords. The human once again spoke to Drital. Drital responded "{I have killed many, and I see not how it matters to you. I can tell from your little sword trick just then that you are no normal human, and you have an exceptional grasp on languages. Tell me. What are you?}".

PostSubject: Re: Let's start up an RP!   

Back to top Go down

Let's start up an RP!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next