Cafe Kong Forums

The forums of the Cafe Kong chatroom of Kongregate.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Recipes to share..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
littlegoth

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Recipes to share..   Fri 26 Dec 2008, 9:07 pm

Ok, So i've been thinking that we need to share recipes...

I'll go first.. so here you go...

"Puppy Chow"

2/3 Box of Crispex (or chex cereal)
1/2 bag of Chocolate Chips (8oz)
1 stick of butter
1/2 a jar of peanut butter (8oz)
1 bag of powdered sugar
2 or 3 gallon sized plastic baggies
a medium bowl that you can microwave

In the bowl place peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter and microwave for about 1 min till melted, stir till smooth... In a plastic bag, pour cereal in, then add some of the mixture, cereal, mixture... close the bag and shake it until the cereal is well coated... in a seperate bag, pour in some powdered sugar, then pour the coated cereal on it, and then add more powdered sugar, shake till well coated, adding sugar as needed... finally if you feel the need to have a cleaner bag, then place the now coated and sugared cereal into the 3rd baggie.

enjoy... and make sure to not get TOO addicted to it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Tasty Roast...   Sun 28 Dec 2008, 1:25 pm

Roast beef that just melts in your mouth isn't a quick thing to make, but it's worth the time if you do it right...

Ingredients:
A slab of red meat - (Beef is the most common, but really ANY red meat will do) in whatever size works best.. I'd say if you're buying it in the store, about 8oz per person you're feeding.. so 2 people per pound of meat.. (we go through more in our house, but that's just because we're carnivores apparently)
Watkins beef broth/gravy mix
Watkins onion soup mix
Garlic powder
Onion powder
salt
black pepper
water
A pan to put the meat into and aluminum foil (i generally use the toss away pans but if you have one that your meat fits into and don't mind the clean up, use it)
---OPTIONAL---
Carrots, onions, potatoes, garlic, etc.

Preparation -
Put the meat into the pan, the meat shouldn't rise more than about 2 inches above the edge of the pan, if it does, get a different one.
using the soup mixes, sprinkle some over the meat coating it.. also sprinkle some in the pan itself... Depending on the size of the roast, you're going to want more... it's hard to have too much, but easy to have too little, and it also depends on those eating it.. Add the onion and garlic powder and the salt and pepper all over the meat and in the pan..
when you've coated everything nicely, add the veggies you want and then add water... it doesn't have to be hot or cold, fill it until it's 1 inch below the edge of the pan.. the water should be brown (broth colored)
Cover the pan with foil, it's ok if the meat is touching it.. make sure to seal the foil down really well, don't be afraid to use more than one piece of foil (but if you do, make sure they overlap)..
Place the roast in the oven, turn it on to 350f and let it sit for a minimum of 5 hours.. I normally do this overnight and I'll get up once to check the liquid level to top it back up so it doesn't try out..

take it out and enjoy it!

EDIT - in the links area I included a link to a place you can get Watkins stuff...

Last edited by littlegoth on Sun 28 Dec 2008, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Potato Soup   Sun 28 Dec 2008, 1:49 pm

Ok, this is some easy soup, but it has some strange steps...

Ingredients
Potatoes (for a small batch feeding only 2 or 3 people, you'll want 4 or 5 medium to large potatoes)
water
onion powder
garlic powder
salt
pepper
flour (plain - not quick rise or anything else like it and i don't really recommend whole wheat either)
butter (half a stick or so)
a large pot
a small skillet

Peel the potatoes or don't (depends on taste, but if you don't peel them, wash them)
cut the potatoes into SMALL pieces.. (bite sized)
put the potatoes in the pot and fill with water (cover the potatoes with 1 to 2 inches of water above the top of the potatoes) add salt, pepper, garlic and onion to taste... remember that potatoes will absorb the salt, so you might need to add more when you're eating it..
turn the stove eye on and let the potatoes boil until they're almost done (the constancy of masking potatoes)
in the small frying pan, you're going to melt the butter to make a roux - this works best on medium heat-
once the butter is melted, you're going to let it brown some and add the flour, you're going to be making a thick paste with it, so add the flour slowly, and you're going to be cooking the paste, not just mixing it... brown the paste and when you're done remove from heat and slowly add it to the boiling potatoes, it'll sizzle and dissolve... that's what you're aiming for.. dissolve the roux in the mix and stir in..
Let the soup thicken and boil, and it will also thicken more as it cools..

Voila - yummy potato soup is done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
War_Wrecker

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Character sheet
Name: Arkstam
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Tue 30 Dec 2008, 2:18 am

i think it would be easier to get a blog and link us there Razz. i dont think we're going to contribute much....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Number of posts : 959

Character sheet
Name: Samael
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Tue 30 Dec 2008, 11:29 am

there is the dandy CK blog...

but I think you might have to have either a google account or a blogster account to post there.
hmm.... this bears investigation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darxzero
Admin

Number of posts : 612
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Character sheet
Name: Drital Vesdrac
Race: Drow

PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Tue 30 Dec 2008, 2:09 pm

You have to be one of the blogs writers for that, Seraph. Razz

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-12-22

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Devil
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Tue 30 Dec 2008, 11:58 pm

I might use that site in the future. Some of my dearest are vegevores.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Wed 31 Dec 2008, 5:57 am

I honestly don't mind being the only one posting recipes...

But then again, if this being here bothers others, I'll also be glad to stop posting them in here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Easy and Tasty brekkie treat...   Sat 03 Jan 2009, 7:27 pm

This one is easy!

Go to your local store and buy some of the "canned" crescent rolls
1 cup of sugar
2 or 3 tablespoons of (preferably Watkins) Cinnamon

Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a bowl, preheat oven like directed on the rolls package, press 1 side of the roll into the cinnamon sugar mix and roll up as directed, place on cookie sheet and finish rolling the rest. If there is left over sugar and cinnamon sprinkle on top, if you need more, mix it up (and if you have too much, save it for toast at a later date!)
Bake as according to the package directions and enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CorellonL
Admin

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Character sheet
Name: Ug
Race: Orc

PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Sun 04 Jan 2009, 7:41 am

I've got some recipes. I'll start out with my scrambled eggs one, just because it's slightly unconventional in that it uses a double-boiler method to spread out the heat more evenly.

INGREDIENTS/MATERIALS:
3 eggs
1 tbsp cream or milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp butter
A small bowl
A small saucepan
A medium-to-large mixing bowl
A whisk
A spatula

1. Pour a few inches of water into the saucepan and boil it on the stove.
2. When the water is boiling, rest the mixing bowl on top of the saucepan and let the butter melt in it.
3. Crack the eggs into the small bowl and add in the milk and salt, then whisk it until mixed.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and keep the oven on high (to keep the water boiling).
5. Rather than constantly stirring, just scrape the eggs off the sides of the bowl whenever it starts to stick.
6. When all the liquid has solidified, pour the eggs from the mixing bowl onto a plate.

View user profile
VQuesadilla

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Mon 05 Jan 2009, 6:22 pm

Dump It Cake [I make this all the time]

I dont know the ingredients but hey... i'm new at cooking

1 can of crushed pineapple with juices
1 can of pie filling, flavor of your choice
1 box of cake mix
9X13 pan [i think]
1 stick of butter
spatcula

ok here's where i get kinda confused... but i'll try..

1. Dump the pineapple in. spread it [with your spatcula]
2. Dump the pie filling in, spread it [with your spatcula]
3. Dump the cake mix in, even layer it [with your spatcula] [oh yeah and dont do what the box says, it's supposed to be dry]
4. Place the butter [about a 1/8-1/4 an inch thick slices] and make sure it covers the whoooolllleeee thing.
Cook time: 1 hour [about 45 check to see if the cake mix looks not dry. if you see a dry spot put butter on it.]
Enjoy. Very Happy and if it comes out wrong i'll go check the recipe ....
i know its somewhere...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Chili (this time)   Thu 22 Jan 2009, 7:28 pm

Just so you know... i normally don't make anything the same twice.. I'm a "Dump Chef" in other words, i don't measure stuff..

This time around

What you'll need:
A LARGE pot... (not a normal sauce pan, but one of those huge pots)
A medium to large white onion
Half a yellow bell pepper
2 pounds (or more) lean ground beef (or turkey)
Powdered Ginger
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Salt
Black pepper
(You can also add green, orange, or red bell peppers if you like but you only need 1/2 of each; if you like heat, go for 1 or 2 medium sized jalapeno peppers; if you like lots of heat go for a habenero pepper or two; if you're into sweet chili then go for a vidalia onion instead of a white one; if you want your tomatoes to have a fresh taste to them add a teaspoon of sugar)

Instructions

brown meat in your large pot, season meat with your powders starting with the chili powder (get the meat spread evenly across the bottom of the pot and sprinkle the chili powder on so that you can see it's color evenly over the meat, then add a stripe of onion, garlic, and pepper over the chili powder) once you have the powder on, stir and mix it in while browning.. Before completely browned add some of your onion and peppers...
When the meat is browned there shouldn't be much to drain off (esp. if you used the lean hamburger), but drain off the excess oil/fat.
Add first can of beans and chili powder, stir.
Add second can of beans and garlic powder, stir.
Add third can of beans and salt/pepper, stir.
Add the rest of your veggies and chili powder, stir.
Add tomato sauce and stir.
Add canned tomatoes and chili powder, stir.
Add a tiny bit of powdered ginger (1/4 teaspoon) and stir well.

Turn heat to medium high and let the chili come to a boil, add chili powder and stir.
When bubbling, reduce heat and simmer.

Dish and eat!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono
Drama Drag Queen of Cafe Kong

Number of posts : 808
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Sun 15 Feb 2009, 4:04 pm

Take 1 part burger
1 part steak
1 part buritto

mash them all on top of each other and eat viciously
OM NOM NOM NOM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 7:27 pm

OK, Seraph also likes my Jambalaya, so I'm gonna post a little on it too...

What you'll need...
A large skillet
the huge pot used for the chili (seriously, huge)
a spatula/flipper
garlic powder
Kilbasa sausage (i prefer turkey or kosher)
onions
green, yellow, red, orange bell peppers
celery
canned tomatoes (diced)
tomato sauce
dark red, light red kidney beans
great northern beans
rice
water

First off, everything needs to be cut up. I prefer to finely dice the veg. but you can cut them up however you like them the most.
Cut the meat into bite sized chunks.
Start the rice cooking.. I usually put a 1 to 2 inch layer on the bottom of the pot, then cover with water so the water is about an inch over the top of the rice.
In the skillet, put all the meat and begin to brown it. Add about half of the cut veggies when you've started getting the meat cooked.
Once the rice has begun to boil, add the other half of the veg and salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well and let the rice continue to cook.
When the meat is done browning turn the heat off and cover the skillet, waiting for the rice to finish.
While you're waiting, you can open and drain all the beans, and you can also open your tomatoes and tomato paste.
After the rice is finished, you'll need to add everything into the pot with the rice, there is no set order, but make sure that the meat and veg, beans, canned tomatoes, and tomato sauce are all in and mix well.
After that, bring the food to the desired temperature and then serve!

Last edited by littlegoth on Mon 23 Feb 2009, 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono
Drama Drag Queen of Cafe Kong

Number of posts : 808
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 7:33 pm

Hmm, interesting, however, I'm not a huge Jumbalaya fan...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Venzael

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 11:05 pm

I like cooking. I can't be bothered finding my double chocolate chip receipe, but I just made some nice guacamole, so I'll see if I can remember it....

Guacamole

Incredients
- One ripe avocado
- One lime (juice)
- Mayonnaise (Heaped tspn)
- Habenaro chill sauce
- Sugar (tspn)
- Water
- One red onion
- Bunch of coriander

Method
Cut the avocado in half and scrap it into a bowl with a scrapping instrument of your choice. Mash it up with a fork. Add a heaped teaspoon of mayonnaise and mix well. Add the lime juice. Try just half the lime and taste to see if you need the other half.
Boil some water use about 2 teaspoons to dissolve the sugar in a glass or cup. Add a teaspoon of the mix to your guacamole or to taste - This sweetens it and balances the lime.
Add a dash of the habenaro chilli and mix well to taste.
Very finely dice a small amount of red onion (you don't need much) and the coriander and add that, too.

You're basically done. Add more lime, chilli or sugar water to taste and eat how you wish :3

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Wed 18 Feb 2009, 7:34 am

I eat my guacamole only with mayo Very Happy
put it on a hot dog... HEAVEN.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrProfessor

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Mon 23 Feb 2009, 12:03 pm

Guac with mayo? >_>" Pfft... Americans...

One of my few original recipes: Wasabi Sesame Salmon

Oh yeah, I'm also one of those people who never measure things (well, not if it's my recipe, anyway); I just eyeball all of it.

Topping:
Wasabi paste
Sesame oil
Rice wine vinegar
Soy sauce
Optional: green food coloring

1 lb. Salmon fillet, preferably without skin (although skin on is tasty too)
Salt
Pepper
Roasted Sesame Seeds

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Combine the ingredients for the topping thoroughly until it is a smooth, easy-to-spread paste. Try to go light on the vinegar and the soy sauce; the vinegar's acidity is only there to highlight the flavors, while the soy sauce is only there for flavor. If you add too much and don't like that muddy brown color, you can try to mix in some green food coloring to bring life back to the wasabi color, but uh... that's up to you if you want to play artist with your food. >_>"

Peel off the skin from the salmon fillet with a paring knife (or alternatively, leave it on, but it tends to get soft and chewy during cooking unless under direct heat). Season the fish flesh-side up with salt and pepper.

Lightly butter a cooking dish. You can use oil for this as well. Lay the fish flesh-side down (so the side where the skin used to be is facing up) and begin spreading the wasabi topping over the fillet (or paint it on; this is where Bob Ross comes in and tells you to make happy trees). Slide the fish into the oven and let it cook for 20-25 minutes (this is a rough estimate; you may have to check on the fish a few times to get it just right).

Once it's done, take the fish out of the oven, turn off the oven and turn on the broiler to high. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top liberally and put it back into the oven for about a minute or so to warm up the seeds and make them toasty (NOT charred).

Bon appetit!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VQuesadilla

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Fri 06 Mar 2009, 7:27 am

I'm half spanish Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Mon 20 Apr 2009, 6:08 am

pizza dip

What you'll need
a block of cream cheese - softened
a tablespoon of "italian seasoning"
half a jar of pizza sauce
half a bag of shredded "italian cheeses" (mozzarella, parmesan)
a loaf of french bread
a can of Watkins Cooking Spray or olive oil / grapeseed oil and a brush
a microwaveable dish
a cutting board
a knife that can cut bread
a cookie tray
a large plate

Preheat your oven to about 350f.

Place the softened cream cheese into the bowl/dish and put the seasoning on it and blend well, smooth the cream cheese mixture. Set the spoon aside, but don't clean it. Liberally sprinkle some of the shredded cheese to cover the cream cheese completely (about 1/4 the bag), pour the pizza sauce over it making sure the cheese is also completely covered, and finally cover the top of the sauce with about another 1/4 of the shredded cheese. Place in the microwave, but do not turn it on yet.

on a cutting board, slice the french bread up into pieces, it works best if you slice diagonally, each piece should be about 1/2 an inch to about 3/4 an inch thick. Arrange the bread on a cookie tray and lightly coat the top surface of the bread with the oil. The reason i recommend "Watkins Cooking Spray" is because it's actually edible and not just for lubricating a pan, and with it, I don't have to brush anything on. Place bread into the oven and let it "toast" for 5-7 minutes.

When the bread is toasted, just before you remove it from the oven, it's time to turn the microwave on. Microwave the pizza dip for about 2 minutes, that's the time you'll need to get the bread off the cookie tray and onto a plate. Use the spoon you mixed the cream cheese with for serving the dip.

it's a hit with my friends, and the cool part is 1 jar of sauce and 1 bag of cheese makes two servings, all i need is an extra cream cheese and loaf of bread to do it all again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tabaschritar

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Mon 20 Apr 2009, 3:58 pm

I'm actually in culinary school right now, so I had to post in this thread first. I made this for my final in Food Theory. Incidentally, I tend to not measure anything when I cook, so take these amounts as guesstimates.

Curry Chicken and Pasta with Roasted Tomato Hummus Sauce
(Yeah, yeah, so I'm not good with names.)

CHICKEN:
4 Chicken Breasts, cut into pasta-sized chunks
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp coriander

PASTA:
1# fettuccine, cooked
1 red pepper, sliced into strips
2 C fresh spinach
1 C Sliced Mushrooms
1/2 onion, Sliced into strips

SAUCE:
2 med sized hothouse tomatoes(the regular kind of tomato)
1 16 oz can garbanzo beans(chickpeas, same thing)
3 cloves garlic
2 T tahini
3 T lemon juice
1/2 c soy milk

1. Cut tomatoes into wedges, throwing away the undesirable parts, sprinkle a little salt and preferably splash some balsamic vinegar on top. Throw in a 450 deg. oven for about 20 minutes, or until wilted and soft.

2. In a food processor, blend the tomatoes, and the other sauce ingredients, except for the milk into a thick paste. Taste and season accordingly.

3. Add the liquid a little bit at a time, until the mixture resembles a thick marinara or alfredo sauce.(You may need more or less liquid) Taste, and season accordingly(You may have to add more garlic, tahini, or lemon juice.)

4. Coat the chicken with the spices and stir-fry or saute in hot oil until done.

5. Remove chicken from pan, and saute the vegetables in the leftover grease. If there is still leftover grease after the vegetables are cooked, discard it.

6. Add sauce and cooked noodles to pan, turn off the heat, stir until combined.

7. Serve pasta in bowl and top with chicken.

If I had a camera, I'd take a picture of the dish, it's pretty colorful with the green from the spinach, and the bright red of the peppers.

Upon further review, this recipe seems a lot more complicated written down than it actually is, so next time, I'll keep it simple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tabaschritar

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   Sat 13 Jun 2009, 6:32 pm

As per request from a doctor amongst professors:

Cajun Pasta - 4 servings

2/3 # Scallops
2/3 # Shrimp
2/3 # Pre-cooked Chorizo
1 c Med diced onion(I like vidalia)
1 c Med diced peppers(red + green preferably, for color; no yellow.)
1# Penne Pasta
4-6 T Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Magic
1 c Whiskey
2 1/2 c Milk
1/2 c shredded mozzarella
1/2 c shredded provolone

And remember, all measures are guesstimates on my part.

1. In a hot, oiled pan, saute the veggies until almost soft.
2. Add the scallops, saute for 15 secs. Add shrimp, saute for 15 seconds, add chorizo, 15 seconds.
3. Sprinkle blackening.
4. Add the whiskey, flame off the alcohol.
5. Add the milk and add enough shredded cheese until the sauce is the desired consistency.

Now, if you don't have or can't find the Paul Prudhomme's Redfish Magic, try this approximation:

1 tablespoon Paprika
2½ teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Ground red pepper
¾ teaspoon White pepper
¾ teaspoon Black pepper
½ teaspoon Dried thyme leaves
½ teaspoon Dried oregano leaves

The blackening recipe comes courtesy of

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Paul%20prudhomme%27s%20blackened%20redfish, and it seems about right. The pasta recipe is my variation of something that I used to cook at one of my old restaurants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlegoth

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Better-chicken-bog   Mon 09 Aug 2010, 6:16 pm

Ok, I live in the south and they make this stuff called "Chicken Bog" and it's rice and chicken and spices. Mind, I don't have a bloody clue how to make it the way they do, but here's what I did:

6 cups water
3 large chicken breasts (or chicken cuts of your choice)
3.5 tablespoons of Chicken Soup Mix
Pepper to taste
2 cups white rice

Put the water, soup mix, pepper and chicken breasts in the water and bring to a rolling boil. Do not cover! Boil until the chicken is cooked completely. Remove chicken from broth and shred it. Turn the broth down to medium low heat.
(To shred chicken, pin the chicken down and pull the chicken apart using a fork. Work against the grain of the meat, not with it, it will shred easily.)
As you're shredding, put the chicken back in the broth so you have enough room to work. While shredding, you will be able to separate any fat, skin, ligaments, or other bits you don't want to eat.
Once all the meat is replaced into the pot, add the rice and bring to a rolling boil, stirring so that nothing sticks to the bottom. Once it's boiling again cover and reduce heat back to medium low.
Boil for 15 minutes, remove lid and stir. Remove from heat and cover again. Let rice sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

Let me know if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recipes to share..   

Back to top Go down

Recipes to share..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1