Cafe Kong Forums

The forums of the Cafe Kong chatroom of Kongregate.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
littlegoth

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Wed 31 Dec 2008, 6:43 am

I read this article today, and it got me thinking about education and the lack of it...

*sigh*

I guess there's more I'd like to say on the subject, but i'm not going to at the moment...

ps, yes, the littlegoth comment in the article there is also me...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Number of posts : 959

Character sheet
Name: Samael
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Wed 31 Dec 2008, 7:03 am

Education (in America particularly since that's where I've got experience) and NCLB are one sure way to get me to start ranting.

Incidently, I'm the one who brought said article to des' attention... because, get this, our County representative called my boss (as in the county library administrator) to ask for accurate graduation numbers for our state and for the county. Said boss then of course passed on the task to me (since she likely couldn't find her bum with both hands and google maps).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VQuesadilla

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 5:46 am

I like jazz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThreeCageHit

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Sun 08 Feb 2009, 1:35 pm

jazz is loads of fun, but difficult to play
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darxzero
Admin

Number of posts : 612
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Character sheet
Name: Drital Vesdrac
Race: Drow

PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 5:43 am

Wrong type of jazz, people. And yes, education is indeed falling into a void somewhere in a desert. The abundance of trolls proves this so very well.

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 6:45 am

I imagine that some sociologist could easily make a dissertation on the correlations between the given percentage of trolls/malignant users in a defined population versus the average GPA of same population.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThreeCageHit

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 8:01 am

Doug, I disagree, I do not believe that it is an issue of class/economic standing. I know many rich trolls, and many poor trolls. It is simply a matter of how one was raised. nature v. nurture

whoops, thought you said GDP, not GPA, hahaha. On that note, I know many intelligent trolls. Very intelligent trolls, but then again, they usually don't leave the halls of 4Chan, so, in regards to the Kong trolls, you are probably right, heh.

*edit*

something i forgot to take into consideration, would be those who do not troll who had/have low GPAs... mine was abysmal, despite having high intelligence, I was just a horrible student, in regards to how The Man wanted me to be a student.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Fri 13 Feb 2009, 7:06 am

ThreeCageHit wrote:
Doug, I disagree, I do not believe that it is an issue of class/economic standing. I know many rich trolls, and many poor trolls. It is simply a matter of how one was raised. nature v. nurture

whoops, thought you said GDP, not GPA, hahaha. On that note, I know many intelligent trolls. Very intelligent trolls, but then again, they usually don't leave the halls of 4Chan, so, in regards to the Kong trolls, you are probably right, heh.

*edit*

something i forgot to take into consideration, would be those who do not troll who had/have low GPAs... mine was abysmal, despite having high intelligence, I was just a horrible student, in regards to how The Man wanted me to be a student.

Oh yes, there are some folks (read: trolls) who are quite intelligent. They persist in these negative behaviors because they're bored and are seeking out intellectual stimulation any where they can get it. If that means trying to find ways to annoy the piss out of other people, they'll do that too.

You see the same pathology in little kids sometimes - they'll do anything for attention, even act like snots and try to get in trouble. Because even negative attention is still attention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono
Drama Drag Queen of Cafe Kong

Number of posts : 808
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Sun 15 Feb 2009, 3:23 pm

The US educational system is so fucked... There needs to be major reform NAO...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VQuesadilla

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 6:18 am

there's 20 somethings in highschool still
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 6:22 am

There's highschool seniors who can't type without looking at the keyboard... we're in the TECHNOLOGICAL ERA PEOPLE...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VQuesadilla

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 6:24 am

o *looks at keyboard* tha *looks again* t sucks *now where's that exclamation thingy???* !!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 6:24 am

lawl. I have better stories than the keyboard one. I'll type one up later. Or you can probably find it somewhere in the rant thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VQuesadilla

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 6:26 am

jeeza mono you rant soooo much *sardonic grin*
or more like
aww
mono needs mental health care
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 6:27 am

My psychiatrist says I'm a mental train wreck! Very Happy lol, jk... Though if I had one, he/she would probably say I am. T_T
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VQuesadilla

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 6:27 am

fein's gonna be a psych
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Tue 17 Feb 2009, 6:30 am

*bashes my head into a wall repeatedly* wheeeeee
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Mon 23 Feb 2009, 7:33 am

NCLB apparently is also responsible for a lady i knew at the school getting forced out of her job.

she was a computer lab monitor (after having worked in the school library for decades), but since she wasn't a "qualified instructor" they forced her out.

then they couldn't find anyone to replace her that was qualified. so the 9th grade campus apparently no longer has a staffed computer lab - basically teachers have to go down there with students and stay with them now. this would be fine, except a lot of teachers know squat about computers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monodemono

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Tue 24 Feb 2009, 1:53 am

Well that would explain why my high school's IT guys were 100% incapable of doing anything...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theSeraph

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Tue 24 Feb 2009, 6:58 am

when i was a teacher the county... the COUNTY mind you... had exactly ONE decent IT guy. Oh, he had a department with some helpers, but by and large they weren't good for much more than "did you try restarting it?" and moving heavy boxes.

I'd fix what I could but when I ran up against something that was beyond my abilities I knew that it'd be a while before it got fixed. 'Course the fact that I could repair minor (very minor) problems, meant that a lot of the teachers on my hall would come to me for computer advice. Oh, the madness!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darxzero
Admin

Number of posts : 612
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Character sheet
Name: Drital Vesdrac
Race: Drow

PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Wed 25 Feb 2009, 5:49 am

I am confused. Anyone willing to explain "NCLB"? (LMGTFY links will end badly)

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   Wed 25 Feb 2009, 6:21 am

No Child Left Behind

It's a law passed during the Bush administration.

On it's surface, it's a good thing. The basic ideas behind it are that schools will hire qualified teachers and that those teachers will be accountable for their performance. The common analogy that was tossed around for a while was like a hospital hiring a doctor - you only hire those people who are qualified and you hold them accountable for their work. Furthermore EVERY student in the US is going to graduate high school - on time. Yes, that means that NO ONE is ever going to fail a grade and get left behind. NO ONE is going to fall through the cracks and not learn how to read, do math, etc.

Of course, the problem lies within the implementation. How do you decide exactly whom is qualified? and how do you figure out if they're performing adequately? And, of course, what do you do if they're not?

At that point the people who stepped into the legislation - pretty much politicians, business leaders, and other types (but very few actual teachers, educators, or parents of school aged children) started to make a mess of things.

NCLB (often pronounced nickle-bee) as it stands is a mess of legislation. It puts an onerous burden on individual schools and states but lacked the federal funding to actually implement any of its provisions fully (this was before our current recession anyways).

Schools who don't perform risk having their entire staff - from janitors up to superintendents - fired and replaced by some alleged commercial agency hired by the federal government (note: this has not yet happened ANYwhere so a lot of talk about it is rather vague and occasionally contradictory). Teachers are also individually responsible for their students grades and performance.

Yes. That means that in a broad sense if student A has a crappy home life, never studies, and chooses to get drunk and stoned every waking hour of the day, the teacher at school whose class they fail is legally responsible for their bad grade. And can be fired, fined, and jailed for it.
In actual practicality, no, it's not quite that bad, but by the letter of the law, that's one thing that NCLB implies.

All those standardized tests that have been more and more prevalent across ALL grade levels in recent years. Those tests that don't really have anything to do with much of anything, that the schools are legally required to give you, that the teachers "are not supposed to teach to" (but they do anyway)... those tests. Those are all a result of NCLB. That's how the fed-gov is monitoring if schools are making adequate progress. Those test scores are also tied not just to the student, but also to the individual teacher. If a teacher doesn't have enough students 'passing' the tests, well, that means they can be fired. Because, remember, they're responsible for those students grades, right? And the school doesn't want to be sued in case that kid fails to graduate from high school. Or can't get into college because their grades were poor. Or can't get a job because they can't follow instructions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....   

Back to top Go down

Education, NCLB and all that Jazz....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1